Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Give Me a Lift

An old friend offered me a ride today; we enjoyed a nice conversation as we drove up a windy six-mile stretch, starting the day off in the spirit of camaraderie instead of seclusion. Usually I drive up that road alone, listening to the radio or sinking into deep thought. Solitude is nice, but the synergy between friends can be inspiring.

We spend too much time in our cars alone lately, and it doesn’t usually occur to some of us to double up. We’re accustomed to driving to our destinations with the windows rolled up, the music on, waving to a friend or neighbor as we roll on past. We often don’t take the time to arrange rides together; it’s easier to stick to routines. Or sometimes we’re afraid of people we don’t know well enough to spend that much time in the car. I’m thankful to all the people who have given me a lift—it’s more fun that way.

When I was in high school, there were two or three friends whose parents could always be counted on for transportation. Now that I have high-schoolers of my own, it is comforting to know that several of us parents are sharing the duty. And with my busy schedule, I welcome the chance to ride with a friend. It’s a time to talk casually about the day and arrive at our destination in a positive mood. No matter where we’re headed, there is probably someone we know going our way. Offering a ride not only helps another person, but it can lift our own spirits as well!

No comments: